Sign up to our mailing list to receive news and events about the Kaimanawas, including when bookings open for the next Trip. Sign up Here.
Each year Kaimanawa Heritage Horses arranges a guided bus trip through the Waiouru Army Base land. This region is normally closed to the public and we are privileged to be able to offer you this experience. The trips usually take place over a weekend at the end of November.
See foals, mares, yearlings, and stallions in their family bands. There will also be a stop at the yards where the horses are mustered, and you will see the spectacular scenery where these horses run.
The bus trip includes:
- A talk and slide show on army activities and safety.
- A stopover at a scenic spot with an address by a DoC representative to talk about the land and its history.
- Lunch at the yards where the horses are mustered, along with a short address on the muster process.
- Merchandise stall at the muster yards.
The buses leave around 9am on the Saturday and Sunday, and return to the car park late in the afternoon.
For the bus trip you will need to bring:
- Your own packed lunch
- Warm clothes in case of a cold day
You may also like to bring:
- A camera
- A pair of binoculars to see even more horses
If you would like to attend then you can complete the online form below, or print and post the registration form. Seats are limited, and are not confirmed until payment has been received.